- Annual Exam
- Twice annual for seniors over age 7 yrs
- Spay / Neuter for all non-breeding dogs
- Annual counseling for planned breeding
- Annual behavior review
- Annual nutrition review, obesity counseling as needed
- Microchipping & Obedience training for all
A combination of the following vaccines, based on risk factors established during the exam and AAHA Vaccine Guidelines:
- Rabies – as required by law: initial / annual, then every 3 years
- DHPP (Distemper / Hepatitis / Parainfluenza / Parvovirus) - a full puppy series (every 3 weeks starting at 6 weeks of age until 16 weeks of age), then every 3 years after the first annual visit at about 18 months
- Bordetella – recommended for all but the most reclusive of dogs; dogs that have any exposure to other dogs – either boarding, grooming, dog parks or neighborhood walks – should be vaccinated (dogs boarding at RRAH require every 6 mo)
- Lyme – recommended for dogs with exposure risk to ticks. Although Lyme-carrying ticks are not endemic to NC at this time (to our knowledge (link)), these ticks have been moving southward from Lyme, CT, over the past decade and currently infect dogs routinely as far south as VA. Spread to NC is most likely inevitable, and likely we will be recommending routine vaccination for all patients with in a few years. Definitely recommended for dogs that travel north.
- Lepto (Leptospirosis) - recommended for all dogs at this time due to a recent outbreak. The disease-causing bacteria is carried by all wild mammals (from mice to deer) and ends up in standing water which dogs may drink or step in.
- Canine Influenza - Recommended for dogs who travel or who spend time with other dogs that travel through shows, trials, contests, etc. There have not been any outbreaks in this part of NC, but we continue to test dogs with upper respiratory signs.
- Annual Fecal Exam
- Annual deworming
- Annual heartworm and tickborne disease check (HW/Lyme/Ehrlichia/Anaplasma)
- Year round heartworm prevention
- Year round flea & tick prevention
- Annual blood work screening - basic for puppies and adults
- Semi annual senior panels for dogs over 7 years, giant breeds over 5 years, at-risk dogs
- Breed-specific genetic testing
- At-home dental care (brushing, rinses, Healthy Mouth)
- Dental health treats